02 January 2011

Consumer Challenge #2

Back by popular demand is my 'no buy policy'.  I am aware of the fact that I have been spending when I shouldn't be, spending money on credit that I shouldn't and well basically consuming and it makes me angry at myself and ashamed at the waste.


thus, I have gone back to the archives and found this post from January 2008 when I did a consumer challenge and given the rules a bit of a polish and here they are!




My rules for this challenge are:

1. I can buy shoes, underwear, toiletries, food, medicines new.

2. Clothing is sourced from 2nd hand shops, opshops, freecycle or made.

3. Fabrics are from my already massive stash or opshops, as is yarn.  If I don't have what is required I will try and source 2nd hand or improvise.

4. All gifts/cards etc will be handmade or second hand.  I do have a stash of things in my gift cupboard that I will use too.

5. Unless something is desperately needed and I can't find 2nd hand or freecycle then I will consider purchasing it new IE washing machine/fridge etc

6. I will menu plan as best I can and try to be as  economical for our groceries as possible.

7. I am aiming to pay my loan off earlier than required to save me money.

8. I am decluttering, what I don't need I am passing on to freecycle and the opshops.  I am also selling goods that can be sold.

9. I am teaching and including my children in all of the above so they will continue to be 'aware'

10. I have sustainable storage solutions.  I use a minimum of plastic containers, no foil/gladwrap etc  We use stainless re-usable drink bottles for our water.


There, I did it before and it can be done again. Who's going to join me!!!!!!!!   

My challenge will go for the year but you can set your own time limit on it.





9 comments:

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

When I go on that type of program I call it my austerity program. Corporations do it and So can I. You have added to it tho and I love your ideas.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

That's a great idea!! I go about halfway with it. It's virtually impossible, say, to find good used clothing for a teen who is 6ft 3in and still growing. :)

I will be interested to see how some of your projects turn out. Is there a way to guess at how much money you are saving? I would love to see that, too.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. I know my spending has crept up over the christmas/holiday season. Looking forward to hearing how you go.

Jamie said...

Mine isn't a no-spend year (I can't resist the chance of a cheap trip to Fiji later in the year), but I have a new budget for a new year and I'm going to work hard to stick to it.

Marita said...

I love this idea. Definitely joining in.

MultipleMum said...

I would be willing to give it a try. How long is the challenge??

Kelli said...

The challenge is for a year for me but you can make it whatever length you want.
For me it is not so much about saving money as about unnecessary spending. I cringe when I think about how much I am contributing to demand, to slave labour, unfair trade etc

Claudya Martinez said...

I think it is a great idea. I've sort of had to go on it because I have no choice at the moment. It's really not that bad and reminds me of how much I already have.

Happy New Year!

Hear Mum Roar said...

Oooh... the more I read about this, the more I'm tempted! I'm not committed yet.. But that's not a no. Great idea though, I love it!