thus, I have gone back to the archives and found this post from January 2008 when I did a consumer challenge and given the rules a bit of a polish and here they are!
My rules for this challenge are:
1. I can buy shoes, underwear, toiletries, food, medicines new.
2. Clothing is sourced from 2nd hand shops, opshops, freecycle or made.
3. Fabrics are from my already massive stash or opshops, as is yarn. If I don't have what is required I will try and source 2nd hand or improvise.
4. All gifts/cards etc will be handmade or second hand. I do have a stash of things in my gift cupboard that I will use too.
5. Unless something is desperately needed and I can't find 2nd hand or freecycle then I will consider purchasing it new IE washing machine/fridge etc
6. I will menu plan as best I can and try to be as economical for our groceries as possible.
7. I am aiming to pay my loan off earlier than required to save me money.
8. I am decluttering, what I don't need I am passing on to freecycle and the opshops. I am also selling goods that can be sold.
9. I am teaching and including my children in all of the above so they will continue to be 'aware'
10. I have sustainable storage solutions. I use a minimum of plastic containers, no foil/gladwrap etc We use stainless re-usable drink bottles for our water.
There, I did it before and it can be done again. Who's going to join me!!!!!!!!
My challenge will go for the year but you can set your own time limit on it.