03 July 2012

Let the stimming begin!

Well it isn't really beginning as it has been part of our house for the past 8 or so years.  So long that it is like the furniture and barely warrants writing about.

So why am I writing about it you ask.  Because this week (and I dare say the next two) is particularly bad and quite frankly it drives me fucking batty!

Beren is due for a birthday so the obsessive asking about his presents, the constant you tubing of skylander figurines, walk throughs and even watching other kids open packages of skylander characters/figurines is being done.  
Twenty zillion questions over whether this is what I am getting him.  
Am I making him feel disappointed deliberately so he will be super happy on the big day?  
Shouldn't I just tell him so he doesn't feel so stressed?   
Do I enjoy being mean?  
Just one clue?   
Being presented with THE list eleventy billion times.
Recited the list of characters nearly as often.

And what does this have to do with stimming?  
With excitement and anxiety comes the bad stimming.  
Unable to sit, stand or lay still.  
Jumping, tapping, flapping leads to running into people, things and cats leads to injuries leads to melt downs.

Thank god birthdays come but once a year and regular low key stimming will resume after the 18th!!


what drives you batty??



3 comments:

Jess Newman said...

Oh birthday drama is bad enough without ASD thrown into the mix!
Good luck with with that!

Tracey @ Bliss Amongst Chaos said...

I wish you well getting through it!
My son does the jumping and flapping when he's excited. You can't blame them for being excited about their birthday, (my son's is coming up too, on the 23rd) but yes, it is testing to say the least.

AParentingLife said...

Wow the 18th is still a while a away, I hope you all make it :0) My eldest drives me batty in the lead up to her birthday but the next one down not so much and the last one is still to little to know what it is all about.


Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses #TeamIBOT