20 December 2014

Feeling Blessed

I know it has been over a year since I posted on this blog.  But, I felt compelled to share just how wonderful this year has been and how truly blessed I feel.
It has been a busy year, with the usual home education and family commitments that come with being a sole parent to two tweens.

This year has also seen major health and wellbeing changes happen for me personally.  Anyone not in the know can follow my journey over on Changing Meal Habits but in a nut shell I have shed over 45kg since February and rid myself of fibromyalgia, anxiety and other debilitating side effects of poor diet/health.  The changes I feel are immense and I love that I am mobile and feeling well enough to get out and enjoy life with my kids, family and friends.




In other news, we decided this year to become a foster family.  This was a slow process that took a lot of soul searching and thought and was first discussed almost two years ago.  I did the course earlier this year and we had our first placement of a little boy in November.  We currently have a baby girl who is an absolute delight.

I think having the care of this baby has really prompted me to count my blessings.  I am so grateful that I have had support of my parents in my most challenging times and have been able to continue caring for my children.

Oh and my children, wow!  I am so incredibly proud of them.  The way they have taken this on board astounds me.  Even though it was their idea to foster initially they have followed through and picked up the loose ends so beautifully.  They have had to sacrifice my time with a newborn in the house and they have had to help out a little more and they have done so without question.  They have so much love to give this wee one and my heart swells to watch them.



The fact that I am not only educated and privileged (yes, I do live below the poverty line on a single parent pension) but also have opportunity that many others don't have  has  meant that I have come through tough times relatively unscathed.  This doesn't happen for so many women (and men) out there.  I watch this tiny baby in my care and it breaks my heart that her mum is missing out on so many 'firsts'.


My eyes have been opened to a whole new world out there.  One that we know exists but because it doesn't touch us we never give it much thought.  A world of drugs, alcohol, neglect, abuse that sees children and parents torn apart, and it is unfathomable.  When I speak to other carers and read other stories I feel so naive and teeter between heart break and anger.  Needless to say this has been a time of great personal growth for me.

So, my top ten blessings for the year:

10. Education
9. Opportunity
8. Government income
7. Health
6. Affordable housing
5. Access to good food/water
4. My car (which I also paid off this year!)
3. Friends
2. Family
1. My beautiful kids 


No comments: