24 June 2012

Nutmeat Cottage Pie

Nothing beats winter food! I love my comfort foods like stews, soups and pies.  This one is a favourite in our house so I thought I would share.  Be warned though, it is NOT suitable for anyone sporting a nut allergy!

Ingredients:
1 tin sanitarium nutmeat
1 cup corn kernels
1 grated carrot
1 grated zucchini
1 cup of cooked rice ( I like brown for this as it gives a nice texture)
1 tin diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2tsp coriander powder
good pinch of salt and pepper
1 onion or 1 leek
1 tbs garlic

5 med sized mashing potatoes, dutch creams are especially tasty.
butter for mashing.

Method:
1.  Cook your rice however you prefer to and put aside.
2.  Boil up the spuds for mashing.  I don't peel mine,  I just give them a scrub and leave it at that.  The skins are good for you and add texture.
3.  In a fry pan saute the onion with the seasoning.
4.  Add veggies to the onion and the tin of tomatoes and mix well.
5.  Dice the nutmeat (ignore that it may or may not look like dog food) and add to the pan.
6.  Simmer the mix for about 30 min then stir through the rice.
7.  Transfer tomato mix to a casserole dish.
8.  Top with the mashed spud and bake for about 30-45min.  I sprinkle a handful of grated cheese on top for the last 10 min or so.







No comments: